This turon recipe is crunchy, fruity and sweet in every bite.
Turon or banana spring roll is is a popular Filipino snack (meryenda in Tagalog) or dessert that is fried and has been coated with brown sugar and topped with jackfruit.
This recipe is usually made with saba banana from the Philippines. You can find the saba bananas in the frozen area at your local asian store. If you are not able to find saba banana, you can use plantains instead. Try to pick the medium size plantains, if possible. The ingredients in turon is simple: saba banana or plantains, spring roll wrappers, brown sugar, jackfruit, and oil for frying.
This canned Jackfruit has a fruity, sweet, texture. I always taste a hint of mango flavors also. Canned jackfruit is available at your local asian super market. If not, you can also get canned jackfruit online.
When purchasing your canned jackfruit, make sure to pick the one that says ” Jackfruit in Syrup” or “Jackfruit in heavy syrup.” I only needed a few pieces of the jackfruit for this recipe, so I went ahead and stored the remaining jackfruit in the freezer. If you prefer not to use jackfruit for this recipe, that’s fine.
Let’s get started with this turon recipe, shall we?
Place the spring roll wrapper in diamond shape towards you. Place the saba banana or plantain (that has been rolled in brown sugar) on the spring roll wrapper. Then place 2-3 pieces of jackfruit strips on top of the banana or plantain.
This turon recipe from the Tropical islands is a quick tasty snack you can make anytime.
What is your favorite snack right now? Please share in the comments below.
INGREDIENTS USED IN THIS RECIPE:
- 2 pieces of Saba banana or plantains, cut lengthwise
- 4 pieces of spring roll wrappers, defrosted
- brown sugar
- 1 piece jackfruit, cut into long strips
- Oil for frying
- Water for brushing the edges of the spring roll wrappers
- Peel the saba banana or plantains and cut the saba banana or plantains in half lengthwise
- Roll the saba banana or plaintains in brown sugar, coat evenly on both sides
- Place the spring roll wrapper in diamond shape towards you. Place the saba banana or plantain (that has been rolled in brown sugar) on the spring roll wrapper. Then place 2-3 pieces of jackfruit strips on top of the banana or plantain.
- Take the bottom part and fold up.
- Take the left part and fold. Take the right part and fold as well.
- Roll up your spring roll. Brush the top edges with water using your finger. Keep rolling your spring rolls. Once you reach the end part of the roll, make sure you tuck the end of the roll tight.
- Your turon spring rolls are ready to go inside the pan to fry. Fry the spring rolls approximately 1 1/2 to 2 minutes.